Monday, October 6, 2014

Block and Tackle

I have a friend who keeps telling me to "block and tackle" things. So, if you are reading this, you know who you are! I am listening to your advice!

We got our duty station assignment a week or so ago (maybe two weeks). The place we are going is super close to where we currently live. The move will be easy but I honestly wanted to move back to the South. However, I have come to realize that we are very blessed to have gotten the base that we got. It is enormous so we will have everything that we need. I should never get bored and it is close to my mother. I began to look for housing opportunities and I must say that I am in over my head. I think we found out best option but I have no prior experience at finding houses and such. Being an adult sucks at times! I want to stress out but I am forcing myself to step back and allow people to help (or just do it for me. Im cool with that).

 We will need to be moved by November 20th give or take a few days. I have plenty of time to pack all of this by myself but I am trying so hard not to stress out. I have a weight limit so I can't lift anything heavy. Yet, heavy stuff is in the way of stuff I need to pack. In the spirit of blocking and tackling I am doing one box at a time. One room at a time. I don't think that is the proper use of block and tackle but that is how said friend used it. Block things into smaller portions and tackle each one.

Hey it works. I can choose to stress or I can make this an adventure. Adventure it is!

8 comments:

  1. As one of my friends reminds us sometimes, "How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time." Not saying I want to eat an elephant but I so understand looking at something big and getting completely overwhelmed with where to even start. Break it down into little bits and tackling those makes good sense.

    Hey, we all rented/bought our first places, made our first big moves. You aren't alone in wondering if you are getting it all right. Keep asking questions and make sure you have all the info you need and you'll be okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep definitely an elephant. I am doing my best to just look at small individual things.

      thank you!

      Delete
    2. Sure steal my material Susie, now I've got nothin' !

      Moving SUCKS! that's it. That's all I've got.

      willie

      Delete
    3. Haha. Moving does suck so that is a good synopses.

      Delete
  2. Good for you Maddie! Take one step at a time and you'll get 'er done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure hope I get 'er done! I may wind up needed a padded room still.

      Delete
  3. Hi Maddie,

    Oh my goodness, we moved last year and then turned around and help move Alex's brother and his family a few months later. Moving is a HUGE undertaking to be sure! I am with everyone above, take one thing at a time! I had color tags, spreadsheets and maps (yes we had storage units and I was not about to lose anything or if I needed an item I wanted to know which unit and what row to search.) So in short, I made moving even harder, so don't do that to yourself. :0)

    It sounds like you have plenty of time to get packed, so use the time to clean out the old and decide what goes and what doesn't. Enjoy the fresh start of it all.. Take the adventure route, it's always more fun that way.

    Hugs,
    Irish Lucky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Irish Lucky,

      I have moved a ton of times, just never as the "adult". I have goals for each day until he gets home and that seems to help. I wont have storage units so I definately wont have spreadsheets!

      Delete